How can I export maps at high resolution?

01-02-2019 02:55 PM
LouiseShirley
New Contributor

Hello, I am trying to export a map from ArcMap at high resolution (suitable for printing at large scale for an exhibition). I have tried the steps outlined here: Exporting your map—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  (under "Rasterization") but with no luck.

Whatever I (supposedly) set the DPI to, the maps come out rather low quality.
Thank you!

5 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Is your map created at the final printing size, or are you creating a map at a smaller size and then attempting to scale it up?

If you create a PDF, you can scale up without issue, whereas a tif or other image format does not scale up well. 

Or are you saying that your map exported at 1:1 scale is of poor resolution?

Regards,

Jim

ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Jim for the great tips and questions. 

0 Kudos
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Hello Louise, please let us know if you need further assistance. Apologies for the delay in response! 

Best, 

Shannon  | Product Enginner

0 Kudos
JamesHG
New Contributor

For anybody that is wondering, this issue has been resolved in the latest version of ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1.  It may have been resolved sooner than this version, but for sure in 2.8.1.

0 Kudos
ErikKarlsson1
New Contributor

I have an open issue on this topic. I have a map with small features on it but I want to export the entire map meaning my zoom level has to be like 1:35 000 000. When I do this it does not resolve the small features regardless of the dpi I put in, I just get a high resolution export of jaggedy unresolved features. How do I export the map "fully resolved"?

0 Kudos