ArcPro Performance on Maps Migrated from ArcMap

12-21-2018 07:19 AM
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

Preamble: using ArcPro 2.2 and ArcMap 10.6.1 on a desktop running windows10

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.7GHz 2.90 GHz RAM: 16 GB
               Also on a MacBook Pro with Windows10 guest OS with 8G RAM
Have 20 or so maps in ArcMap and have migrated them to a single project in ArcPro. The maps are of, what I would term, moderate complexity. Often they have many layers, but at any point in time most of those layers are turned off. Some of them use Demographic data from Business Analyst (but we do NOT use the BA software -- ony BA datasets). About six months ago I tried this same migration (with Pro 2.1 and Map 10.6) and it failed. This time the migration succeeded, each map taking between one and three minutes to convert. Seemingly, everything OK.......
Now I fire up Pro. It took 13 mins to display any map. The actual time varies somewhat. It can be longer. I attach output from windows Task Manager which seems to show that i/o to the disk is running at 100% (and stays there).
It is with difficulty that I restrain myself from exploding into a stream of expletives. This kind of thing is what I have come to expect with ESRI software. It is just unacceptable that these products are unleahsed onto the user base without proper and exhaustive testing. If indeed Pro was never intended to support having as many as 20 maps in a project then that should be a warning in the documentation. ArcPro has been touted to me as a product whose performance is significantly better than AcrMap. Yeah, right.
Does anyone else have this problem with Pro? There is some suggestion (very subjective) that Pro performance gets worse with time. Since I have no intention of continually firing it up and waiting 15+ minutes with a stopwatch I am certainly not going to expend any effort to quantify that.
Rob Stevens, NSW Corp.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using SDE data in these maps?

0 Kudos
RobertStevens

Hi Michael

No. If I understand the full meaning of SDE, no. All

the data is in files local to the desktop version

of pro/map that we are running.

Rob

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

For local data such as yours, Pro has performed well for me but I have not yet tried to import anywhere close to 20 ArcMap maps into a Pro project.  Do you know at what point the performance of Pro really started to degrade (e.g. 5 ArcMap maps, 10, 15, etc.)?

I have found that the performance of Oracle SDE data in Pro has been disappointing especially when editing the data.

Have you tried to perform editing of your data in Pro starting with maybe a simpler project where you only have at most 3 ArcMap maps that you have imported?

Lastly, if you create the maps from scratch in Pro, do you not see the performance degradation of the imported maps from ArcMap?  Some other geonet threads allude to much better performance if everything is created brand new in Pro (This does not seem like a realistic scenario for orgs that have been using ArcMap for a long time though).

0 Kudos
RobertStevens

Hi Michael

No, we imported them one after another without pause.

What you suggest makes sense, and if I have enough

time I will try importing them in batches of 2 or 3.

One thing I do know. AFter the initial importation,

with ArcPro not yet having yet been shutdown, the

maps seemed to display quite promptly. But

again this is a bit subjective and I was not

keeping careful watch as at that time no problem

was apparent.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if this would really matter, but what version of ArcMap are you importing into the Pro projects?

0 Kudos
RobertStevens

10.6.1I would not call AcrMap blindingly fast either, but it is an order

of magnitude faster than Pro at the moment. All of the maps have

recently been used in Map 10.6.1

0 Kudos