AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to create ArcGIS Pro Annotation Classes?

Question asked by Tim.Ultee_ParsonsCorp on Dec 18, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 3, 2019 by Tim.Ultee_ParsonsCorp

I'm having trouble getting ArcGIS Pro to display different annotation classes within a single feature class. A common workflow for me in ArcMap involved converting multiple sets of labels to a single annotation feature class (I would create it and then append new subtypes to it). I'm trying to mimic this workflow in Pro by using the Convert Labels to Annotation tool and then the Append Annotation Feature Classes tool to merge the multiple different annotations into a single file.

This worked but now instead of the different subclasses showing up in the contents pane, there is only the Default shown. I've tried field calculating the AnnotationClassID field to match the subclass codes in the SymbolID field and shown in Annotation Feature Class Properties, and have also tried creating Subtypes based on the SymbolID or updated AnnotationClassID fields; no matter what only Default shows as a togglable option in the Contents pane.

I realize I could work around this by using definition queries, but it was so easy to switch between different annotation subclasses in ArcMap and I don't see why this option isn't available in Pro.

I've attached a screenshot of the window showing the issue.

P.S. If this is a bug, an even better fix would be to just have the subclasses be maintained when using the Append Annotation Feature Classes tool, or to allow a single annotation to be created with the Convert Labels to Annotation tool.

Outcomes