KMZ html popup problem

02-20-2011 07:40 AM
RobParal
New Contributor
Hello: Recently when exporting layers to kmz format, the labels of the html popup have become mysteriously inaccurate in the exported kmz.

For example, a label "Asian Change" becomes "Asian hange", and "Black Chg" become "Black hg"

I have opened the kmz as a kml, edited the labels, re-saved as a kmz, and the html popup is fine.

Thank you in advance for any help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III
Are you talking about the field labels that come from the aliases (FieldName) or the content (FieldValue) of one of your fields? Which HTML popup XSL are you using? If it is custom code, there could be an error in it. Do a View Source on the popups with problems to see if the XML has the contents you would expect for that record.
0 Kudos
RobParal
New Contributor
Are you talking about the field labels that come from the aliases (FieldName) or the content (FieldValue) of one of your fields? Which HTML popup XSL are you using? If it is custom code, there could be an error in it. Do a View Source on the popups with problems to see if the XML has the contents you would expect for that record.

Hello: Thank you very much for responding. It is the field name alias that is getting truncated in the pop-up.  To display the fields I am using the default "Display HTML formating... As a table of the visible fields."

However, I did experiment with XSL templates, even though I went back to the default formatting.

Can you tell me how I would vew the source code of the html popup?  I can view it in the KML file and do not find anything wrong (other than the field aliases being truncated).

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Rob
0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Can you tell me how I would vew the source code of the html popup?  I can view it in the KML file and do not find anything wrong (other than the field aliases being truncated).
Rob

This is sounding like a little ESRI bug when generating or transforming the XML; XSL does have a replace function that could take out one letter, I suspect because you have spaces in your aliases.

To look at the popup source: View Source will only show you the XML. I use Firefox with Firebug (this is a miniapp that can be added to Firefox) to view the hidden HTML. This requires navigating away to a new tab from the XML page and then back after opening it in Firefox. Right now, this isn't working for me because Firefox is not playing nice today, but it was when I was developing my XSL.
0 Kudos
RobParal
New Contributor
This is sounding like a little ESRI bug when generating or transforming the XML; XSL does have a replace function that could take out one letter, I suspect because you have spaces in your aliases.

To look at the popup source: View Source will only show you the XML. I use Firefox with Firebug (this is a miniapp that can be added to Firefox) to view the hidden HTML. This requires navigating away to a new tab from the XML page and then back after opening it in Firefox. Right now, this isn't working for me because Firefox is not playing nice today, but it was when I was developing my XSL.

Hi Dana: Thank you very much for that advice: I will look into it.
Rob
0 Kudos