Co ordinates system issues?

12-13-2018 05:42 AM
AssetManagement2
New Contributor

Hi All

I have created a Geoform that is filled out in the field. The data is then downloaded and added into arcmap 10.3 as a .csv before being saved as a layer file.

When the data is online it shows to be in the correct locations over our maps however once the data has been downloaded as a .csv and is then added to our map the data shows to be to the south of the map.

I have looked at the co ordinates system which are correctly set to WGS 84 Web Mercator (Aux Sphere) but cant find any other reasons for the data to be in a different location.

Has anyone had these issues before and if so how where they resolved.

Cheers

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a csv has no concept of a coordinate system.  turn it into a featureclass and use the Define Projection tool in arctoolbox to set its coordinate system

AssetManagement2
New Contributor

Hi Dan

Sorry i haven't explained myself very well we have done the above, but the issue still occurs with the data showing to the south of the map.

When we have reloaded the data into the online map it shows in the correct locations again.

Cheers

0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

Go through the checklist...https://community.esri.com/groups/coordinate-reference-systems/blog/2018/12/12/checklist-adding-coor... 

Are the values in the CSV angular or linear? 

Also show an example of the data...it makes it easier to answer

0 Kudos
AssetManagement2
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses, the issue has been resolved

0 Kudos