Dissolving (or merging?) ALL intersecting line features

12-11-2018 06:00 PM
TS9
by
New Contributor

I'm trying to dissolve all adjacent line features in a single feature class, so I'd like to only have separate features if they are not intersecting any others in the same feature class. The way it's working right now is that line features are only being dissolved if they share an endpoint with exactly one other line feature, which isn't how I would expect Dissolve to work based on the description. I have the same problem whether Unsplit Lines is checked or not.

The attributes are not important to me. Is there a way to do this with Dissolve, or is Merge a better option?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Since you don't care about the attributes, have you tried selecting all the geometry in an edit session and 'union'ing them? You can always then try the MultiPart to SinglePart tool to see if the output geometry is then better

0 Kudos
TS9
by
New Contributor

Union is only for polygon features, correct?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

merge then … don't have arc* open to check… the point is to get them to a single feature, then explode to parts

0 Kudos
TS9
by
New Contributor

I gave it a try, and that gives the same result as running a Dissolve with Create multipart features unchecked. There are still adjacent lines that aren't being merged.

0 Kudos