AGOL replace existing data with new data

12-11-2018 01:08 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

This may be a no brainer for those of you more familiar with AGOL:  I created an AGOL map last year with 'last years data'.  Now I have 'this years data'  I would like to simply replace the old with the new, keeping my symbology. (The data has the same fields as last year).  In addition to the map, I created a dashboard.  If I'm able to update the map the dashboard 'looks at' will it be seamless?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Kelly Gerrow‌ will know.

In the interim, stick with python

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sounds like you want to overwrite your feature layer. Check out the process in the doc:

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Joe,

I'd suggest either overwriting the feature layer with the new data like Katie suggested or using the append tool to add the new data to the existing dataset while filtering out your previous years data. Web maps and dashboards read the data and symbology from the item (layer item) and from the services url. If you use either overwrite or append, the itemID and service url remain the same, enabling a seamless transition once the underlying data is updated. The method you choose will really depend on the data that you want to store in ArcGIS Online, one year or multiple years.

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Can you also still follow the suggestion in this thread by editing the layer within Arcmap and then posting the updates back to the hosted layer?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I fiddled around a bit and added the new data to the original map and did a 'save as' to 'this-years-map'  Turns out the data is a little more dyanmic year to year than I thought.  I did look at the append and overwrite options as shown in the suggested help files. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos