Is it possible to determine if lat/long was set to 0,0 before submitting the survey?

12-11-2018 10:41 AM
N_Funi
by
New Contributor II

Ideally, I’d like to do this without making the geopoint a required question. Basically, I don’t want to discard the survey if the user was having technical difficulties with location services (I’m dealing with different devices, many volunteers, minimal training). Instead, I would like to add a relevant question, if geopoint is 0,0 then the user can manually type in the closest intersection.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You could use the pulldata() request to determine the Latitude and Longitude of the survey and then set a threshold that ensures the coordinates are not equal to zero. If the requirements are not met, then you could have a new question be displayed that would allow them to enter the intersection by using the relevant column.

This article has a lot of good information within it pertaining to automatically pulling the coordinates and you might want to consider potentially using the pulldata() to obtain the horizontal accuracy of the location also in order to further QA/QC the positional accuracy.

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/11/03/extracting-information-from-geopoint-que...

0 Kudos
NickDierks1
Occasional Contributor II

Adding on to the very helpful resource Mike provided, there's also this tutorial on specifying where geopoints are and aren't allowed to be recorded, which you might find useful:

Limiting Extent in which a Point can Exist

This would pick up not just on points at 0,0, but also those that fall outside of the area you expect them to be (I once had a user that wound up recording stray points in Siberia, Australia, the Dead Sea, and the middle of the Atlantic, while working in Wyoming!) For your situation, you could set this process up to trigger a relevant question, as you describe, instead of keeping it a constraint.

0 Kudos