Map Download Failed with new 18.1.0 version

12-09-2018 10:31 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have an offline map that loads fine on the "Classic" 18.0.3 version of Collector. Trying the new version for iOS 18.1.0 I get the error "Download Failed". This is the same map, is there some new setting that needs changed to enable sync with the new Aurora version?

14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update: The map had "Related Tables" included. Apparently version 18.1.0 doesn't allow this, when I deleted the tables and re-saved the map it worked in both versions.

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Robb,

Thank you for the testing feedback.

The new Collector for ArcGIS does support related tables. The fact that the download is failing is an issue that needs further investigation.

In order to help determine the cause of the download failure, please enable Developer mode in the app settings.

1. Go into the app settings in Collector

2. At the top of the settings screen where it shows your username, tap on it 4 times.

3. This should add the 'Developer' option at the bottom of the settings page.

4. Inside the Developer option, there is an option called 'Logging'. Turn it on.

5. Proceed to download the map that fails and let it produce the error.

6. Return to the Developer option and check the Logs. You might need to scroll through the logs to find the error, but it should provide more useful information. You can also email those logs to share them with others if needed.

Note - Once you're done using the logs to help troubleshoot issues, I would recommend turning 'Logging' off as it will continue to capture download and sync information for subsequent operations. You can also clear the logs if they are no longer needed.

Please let me know what the error shows in the logs.

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Robb,

Could you also share your map with me? If so, please create a new group in ArcGIS Online > share the maps/services with that group > invite the Collector4ArcGIS user into that group.

I will not be editing any data, I just want to investigate the failure and review the data configuration.

Thank you.

-Kevin

0 Kudos
TravisSmith1
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue here. I'm unable to take any maps offline and they work fine in the Classic version. I created a test map with just one of my layers. I am able to download it in the Classic version. In the new iOS version, I get the error. Here are the log errors:

**Note: I'm also using related tables with domains and attachments**

12/11/18, 10:36 AM [f09557b35d8c4f06afd1bea48f01bc28] - Message 3/22: Loading online map.

12/11/18, 10:36 AM [f09557b35d8c4f06afd1bea48f01bc28] - Table: ClosureForm - Error: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error Code=3054 "The item to be created already exists in the database." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=, NSLocalizedDescription=The item to be created already exists in the database., Additional Message=}

12/11/18, 10:36 AM [f09557b35d8c4f06afd1bea48f01bc28] - Table: RepairForm - Error: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error Code=3054 "The item to be created already exists in the database." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=, NSLocalizedDescription=The item to be created already exists in the database., Additional Message=}

12/11/18, 10:36 AM [f09557b35d8c4f06afd1bea48f01bc28] - Layer: Mine feature - Error: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error Code=3054 "The item to be created already exists in the database." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=, NSLocalizedDescription=The item to be created already exists in the database., Additional Message=}

12/11/18, 10:36 AM [f09557b35d8c4f06afd1bea48f01bc28] - Has errors but no error returned - layerErrors: [<AGSFeatureLayer: 0x280302150>: Error Domain=com.esri.arcgis.runtime.error Code=3054 "The item to be created already exists in the database." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=, NSLocalizedDescription=The item to be created already exists in the database., Additional Message=}]

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Robb,

I just notice an issue as well. I have not changed anything with regard to our maps, and have been using them for well over a couple years now. I could easily go offline and sync back. No issues. This morning I can no longer go offline with what is now "Collector Classic". The cloud is now gone from most of the maps. One did have it, and when I would try to download it, I would get Unable to create Replica. Check Parameters. I tried logging out and in and that did nothing. When I logged back in under my admin account, I go an error about background refresh. I checked in settings and the background refresh is turned off, and is grayed out with no way to turn it on. I tried using the "Collector Beta" to go offline, using that same map above, and I got an error of "Download Failed. I checked the background refresh in the settings and it is enabled. I'm using iPads and iPhones by the way. I don't know if this is because of the updated website, Collector Classic, Collector Beta, or the Aurora Project. Very frustrating because I have to go offline 50% of the time to collect data.

Sorry I couldn't help, but thanks for posting and starting the topic.

Travis

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

In the error message from Collector Classic the full error was "Unable to create Replica. Check Parameters. Sync is not enabled." I forgot the last part.

Travis

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Travis,

Thank you for sharing that information. With regards to the error you're seeing in Collector 18.1.0, 'The item to be created already exists in the database.' this is a known issue that is still being investigated on our end.

The underlying problem, from all the cases we've seen up to this point, deals with coded value domains having the same names but containing different values.

For example, you have a feature service with three layers in it, all of which have a field called 'Type'. Lists/domains are created for each 'Type' field for each layer in the service. Layer 1 has types 1-3, layer 2 has types 4-6, and layer 3 has types 7-9. When the subsequent map is opened in Collector, only the first layer will load, the other two layers will fail to load in the map and displays that same error in the 'Layers' list. Collector is 'seeing' duplicate domains with different values because when a list is generated through ArcGIS Online, as they were in this example, the field name is used as the domain name.

In the example I provided above, this happened across multiple layers in the same service. Individual services with single layers are fine.

This issue can also happen if you have duplicate domains in the same layer as oppose to separate layers in the same service.

Would you be able to share with me a map(s) that can reproduce that error? If so, please add them to a new group and invite the Collector4ArcGIS user into that group.

Here are a few potential workarounds. Since the main issue is that the domains have the same name but different values, essentially they need to be made to match or have different names:

- the domains need to include the same exact values.(Using the example above, would mean the list/domain would include values 1-9)

- the domain names need to be changed, which as in the case of hosted feature services would entail having to create new fields and applying the same domain as before. The values would not need to match in this case because the names would be unique. (Using the example above would mean having fields called Type_A, Type_B, Type_C that contain the same unique values as they do currently.)

Therefore this issue happens regardless if you perform a download or not. The download is just failing due to this issue. The download itself isn't the problem.

Regarding the other issue with why you can no longer download in Collector Classic, just for clarification, this issue only happened starting today, but was working correctly? For the previously downloadable maps, in AGOL in the web map settings page, are they still offline-enabled? Are the feature services still sync enabled? But the download icon is no longer available for those maps in Collector Classic? Can you share one of these maps as well?

Thank you.

-Kevin

TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Wow. I appreciate the explanation, but you’re talking above me. Domain wise, I have have a couple layers (feature service) that has domains: hydrants and valves. It’s been a long while since I set them up (3-4 years), but I created them on Desktop. For example, I created a layer called hydrant, and a domain within with numbers 1 through 4. I used the numbers to represent colors, which then represented a “good”, “moderate”, “fair”, and “replace”. I set it up for inspections. I then uploaded that to AGOL. When I first started dabbling in AGOL, there wasn’t any way to create domains online, thus I couldn’t color code. But you could create it in Desktop and upload it. That’s what I did. My valve layer is basically the same- 3 colors, one for being open, one for closed, and one for NULL. I have never created a layer online so I don’t know if domains are possible or not. I was thinking they were with this latest update to AGOL.

I’ll share that map when I get in in the morning.

With regard to Collector Classic, Thursday or Friday I think was when I updated to the latest version, which I understand is being called Classic. Today was the first day I tried to download a map to go offline. It seems that I have lost all the cloud icons to download a map except for one. I have no idea why that is the only one that remained. It’s on a map that I don’t use very much. We have 5 users and my Desktop version. We are not a large company at all and I take care of everything. We don’t do anything complicated. We have two Eos Arrow receivers and two iPads that we take points with. The other accounts are mainly used by field staff on iPads to view or update fields. i.e.-If they exercise a valve, they would just update that info. The error I get is "Unable to create Replica. Check Parameters. Sync is not enabled." I know sync is definitely enabled on each of the layers. I went back and unchecked them and then rechecked just to see if anything would change. It didn’t however. I’m not sure what else to try, or to provide. Maybe it’s on my end, but I haven’t done anything different last week than I’ve done for the last two years.

Like I said, I’ll send that in the morning. If I can’t do anything to help let me know.

Thanks Kevin,

Travis

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
TravisAnderson
Occasional Contributor

Kevin,

I think I figured out the “Collector Classic”. When I began sharing the map and layers within that map with your group this morning, I got this error “The item you requested cannot be found. The item may have been deleted or you may have entered an incorrect URL.” I uploaded a “water main” layer to replace our aged one and didn’t enable it to be taken offline. I enabled it and then my cloud came back on our “Le-ax Field Map” on the All Maps. I then was able to download that particular map that this morning. So Classic wasn’t working because of something I did.

I shared two maps with your group. Our “Le-ax Field Map”, which is our “go to” map for taking points and just about everything else. I also shared our “Hydrant and Valves Maintenance Map”, which was the one I was trying to download yesterday and was getting errors. Both maps contain the shared layers Hydrant3 and Valves, both of which have domains. There are more layers in Le-ax Field Map and they are shared as well.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Thanks,

Travis

0 Kudos