Charts in Story Maps

12-06-2018 03:58 PM
LorenceWilliams
New Contributor II

Hello,

Firstly thank you for all the hard work you put into creating a quality, intuitive and powerful product.

This may seem like a dumb question to the development team but is there a way I can insert tables into content? I tried using table generators online to create html tables but it's still a bit cumbersome. ESRI published recently an article on inserting graphs into story maps but I need simple method of creating charts. Instead, I have come to rely on pictures of tables instead. https://dcced.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=78729fa8183547a989ddaac3572f5b29 

P.S. If map apps had a bit more in terms of tools geared toward finances that would be great. Adding sums and managing currency data on the fly is something I need when displaying spatial data.

Thank you for your time and attention to this.

Sincerely,

L. Williams

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

On the Story Maps team we are sort of big fans of static images of tables, charts, etc because they let authors get exactly the look they want. You can find some nice examples of how people are presenting this sort of data in the Story Maps Gallery for the Cascade app, but you may have already browsed that. In a Cascade you can also 'animate' your static tables and charts by using immersive sections to display a sequence of static graphics, You can also make really long charts and tables that readers can scroll through (for example, see: Living in the Age of Humans  

Story Maps don't support dynamic tables and charts that for example, reflect queries and selections on a map, because the idea with story maps is that you can tell the story without too much user interaction, except for them to advance through or pick places or tabs they want to view. It is possible to embed third-party web content into Story Maps so, for example, if you can create an interactive chart on the web, you may be able to embed it into a story map (if that web content allows itself to be embedded, not all does). Or you could use a different ArcGIS app and then embed it into a Story Map, or link to it from your Story Map for readers who want to delve deeper. However in general I would personally try and keep things simple and refine a story so you don't need those extra elements. 

Rupert

0 Kudos