change user type from creator to gis professional

Jump to solution
12-06-2018 07:50 AM
RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

So, the roll out appears to have happened today, 12/6/18 for the change in AGOL user types. I am the administrator and was a level 2, and am now a creator. Is it possible to change my user type to the GIS Professional? Is there any benefit to doing so? Does being a creator limit my ability to perform all of the functions as a administrator? Does being a creator limit my access to any functions/apps/etc. that are available for my license type, Desktop Advanced w/most extensions? Should I be considering changing how I currently access ArcGIS Pro? Sorry, Lots of questions but have not really found any specific guidance on how to make all of the transitions in the AGOL changes. Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Ronald,

This blog should help to answer those questions:

What's Coming in ArcGIS Online: Introducing User Types 

To answer your specific questions:

1. It is possible to change your user type to GIS Professional if you purchase a GIS Professional User Type. As they only came available as a specific User Type yesterday, I don't expect many organizations will have added them to their organization quite yet. Please note that a Creator User Type with an add-on ArcGIS Pro license will have access to the same capabilities and apps. There is no specific benefit to using Creator or GIS Professional it's more of a decision about how you want to assign licenses and capabilities to your users. As licenses can be added on to members, you can assign additional app licenses that aren't included in the initial User Type.

2. The User Type defines what capabilities you and your users could possibly have access to, but the role assigned specifies the actual privileges that are assigned to your username. Both Creator's and GIS Professionals have access to the same capabilities and can both be assigned an Administrator role. A Creator User Type has access to the same administrative capabilities as the GIS Professional.

3. A Creator is compatible with all add-on app licenses, so there are no limits to which apps can be assigned to members with this User Type. 

4. When you purchase ArcGIS Desktop, you receive a Creator User Type and an Add-On Pro Licenses. User Types don't affect how ArcMap is licensed. If a Pro License was assigned to your user name yesterday, it will be assigned as an add-on license today. Nothing will change about how you use ArcGIS Pro or Desktop.

I've been mentioning GIS Professional as a single User Type when in fact there are three levels of GIS Professional, Basic, Standard and Advanced that align with the licensing levels of ArcGIS Professional. If you were interested in a GIS Professional, you would want a GIS Professional Advanced to align with your current license.

Please read through the blog and let us know if you have more questions

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Ronald,

This blog should help to answer those questions:

What's Coming in ArcGIS Online: Introducing User Types 

To answer your specific questions:

1. It is possible to change your user type to GIS Professional if you purchase a GIS Professional User Type. As they only came available as a specific User Type yesterday, I don't expect many organizations will have added them to their organization quite yet. Please note that a Creator User Type with an add-on ArcGIS Pro license will have access to the same capabilities and apps. There is no specific benefit to using Creator or GIS Professional it's more of a decision about how you want to assign licenses and capabilities to your users. As licenses can be added on to members, you can assign additional app licenses that aren't included in the initial User Type.

2. The User Type defines what capabilities you and your users could possibly have access to, but the role assigned specifies the actual privileges that are assigned to your username. Both Creator's and GIS Professionals have access to the same capabilities and can both be assigned an Administrator role. A Creator User Type has access to the same administrative capabilities as the GIS Professional.

3. A Creator is compatible with all add-on app licenses, so there are no limits to which apps can be assigned to members with this User Type. 

4. When you purchase ArcGIS Desktop, you receive a Creator User Type and an Add-On Pro Licenses. User Types don't affect how ArcMap is licensed. If a Pro License was assigned to your user name yesterday, it will be assigned as an add-on license today. Nothing will change about how you use ArcGIS Pro or Desktop.

I've been mentioning GIS Professional as a single User Type when in fact there are three levels of GIS Professional, Basic, Standard and Advanced that align with the licensing levels of ArcGIS Professional. If you were interested in a GIS Professional, you would want a GIS Professional Advanced to align with your current license.

Please read through the blog and let us know if you have more questions

RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much Kelly!

Your answers help. Your last paragraph; How would I change the creator to GIS professional Advanced? I tried to change the user type for both users in my organization and it is not allowed. Mine are grey-out and my co-worker's will open but cannot edit. I can change the role for my co-worker but not for me. I refreshed the browser just in case and nothing changes. Am I trying to do this in the wrong place or do my permissions stop me somehow? There is no rush on this but we are about to make multiple changes in our organization concerning mapping and I would like to not have to scramble when we start adding users.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Ronald,

Have you purchased GIS Professional User Types? If so, they should be present in your organization settings>Licenses> User Types tab. If not you will need to work with your account rep to purchase the User Types and then you can follow the change user type workflow to update your user type:

Manage members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

RonaldVanderpool
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly!

So, I would assume we have not. Our organization was set up with the purchase of two Desktop Advanced licenses, a few years back. Thank you for the guidance. I will get with our rep and start the transition to the new structure.

Love GeoNet. Great response, always.

0 Kudos