Renaming in ArcGIS Pro

12-05-2018 03:53 PM
TonyDaSilva1
Occasional Contributor

When renaming layouts and maps I always either get an error saying "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" or the error in the image below. This has going on for a while and I'd be surprised if the devs were not aware of it. 

Any Ideas what the problem is? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This is marked as ArcGIS Pro... but I have tried renaming by right-clicking on the layout name in Catalog and I have had no issues with existing or new layouts.

Is your situation different?

0 Kudos
TonyDaSilva1
Occasional Contributor

You will probably have to recreate it under real world circumstances, with dataframes and content. I have multiple dataframes and lots of content. I usually copy a layout figure and map object, rename them and start the next map from there to save time.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sounds like it is having a hard time catching up (that … has not been initialized... line)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

BUG-000115834: The error message, "Object reference not set to an i.. 

It appears this thing about having multiple instances of objects of the same name is not well tolerated in other situations.

You might want to flag this with tech support since it may be related 

Kory Kramer‌ multiple layouts same name, multiple folders same name... only common link.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Are you renaming maps and layouts from an imported mxd?

We have a known issue for this. 

[BUG-000116427: An error occurs when renaming a layout from the Catalog pane in ArcGIS Pro.] 

Listed workarounds:

1. From the Catalog pane, right-click the layout and click Open.
  2. From the Contents pane, double-click the layout to rename.