Can you load a Jpg or Tiff image file in ArcGIS on-line with their associated world files?

Jump to solution
12-06-2018 08:04 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I'd like to add some images I created as orthophotos that have tfw and jgw files, but when I add them as content they come in without their extents. In settings it's only possible to manually enter the extents, and while this is theoretically possible, by going back to the tfw and calculating back from the base point, it's not really satisfactory.

Is there a better way?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Simon,

I should clarify. The functionality we're looking for here does exist, just not in ArcGIS Online yet. It's possible to share rasters as georeferenced data as an image service published to ArcGIS Server:

Key concepts for sharing an image service—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Image services can be consumed in ArcGIS Online, but not hosted there yet. 

There's currently an ArcGIS Idea to add that hosting functionality to ArcGIS Online and I'd definitely recommend upvoting it if you'd like to see it in ArcGIS Online.

Allow publication of rasters to ArcGIS Online as image services 

I hope that helps clarify! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Simon,

Rasters are only available to add to ArcGIS Online as a non-georeferenced file for download:

What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

It's definitely possible to publish a tile service made from the raster to ArcGIS Online using a tile package:

About tile packages—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

An overview of the Tile Cache toolset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Share Package—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Once the tile package is added to ArcGIS Online, it can be published as a tile service. The resulting service will be georeferenced.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for that, but I don't really understand it. This seems to be dealing with snapshots of maps rather than single ortho photos or raster mosaics. It seems to be selecting the data from the map rather than actually using the raster image itself, unless I'm missing something.

Sorry

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Simon,

I should clarify. The functionality we're looking for here does exist, just not in ArcGIS Online yet. It's possible to share rasters as georeferenced data as an image service published to ArcGIS Server:

Key concepts for sharing an image service—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Image services can be consumed in ArcGIS Online, but not hosted there yet. 

There's currently an ArcGIS Idea to add that hosting functionality to ArcGIS Online and I'd definitely recommend upvoting it if you'd like to see it in ArcGIS Online.

Allow publication of rasters to ArcGIS Online as image services 

I hope that helps clarify! 

0 Kudos