Mask out line features beneath layers?

12-03-2018 01:03 PM
Labels (1)
KevinDonahue
New Contributor

I'm trying to switch over some of the mapping products my organizations generates from AutoCAD over to ArcMap, but I'm running into a lot of issues keeping roughly the same format.  At the moment, I'm trying to find the best way to recreate the line symbology we typically use.  I included an example of what I'm trying to reproduce as an attachment.  

I'd like to be able to mask out the lines or polygon edges where labels are located, but I need to see the symbols and imagery beneath this layer. Because of this, it seems like text background and mask in the symbol options won't cut it, as they both put a colored region behind the text.  Does anyone know of a relatively simple way to do this with labels?  I'd rather not have to modify the lines themselves to do this, but its starting to feel like it may be my only option.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
StephenM
Occasional Contributor II

You can do this using the Contour Annotation or Feature Outline Masks tool.

Contour Annotation—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

Here's a walkthrough of the process using the Feature Outline Masks tool:

Variable depth masking: Contour label example

0 Kudos
KevinDonahue
New Contributor

Perfect, thanks for the help.  This should make life a little easier in a lot of places, although its now looking like I'm going to have to go the marker line symbol route in this particular case.  Assuming I can ever get it to work properly anyway!

0 Kudos