Shared applications no longer have direct link?

12-04-2018 06:29 AM
Maricela
New Contributor II

Hello,

I noticed recently that any web mapping applications or Story Maps shared with our Hub no longer immediately open the application when clicking on it in the results list. Currently, if you click on the application name, it will open the details page and sometimes there will be an error at the top left that reads something like "an error occurred trying to fetch the data". 

A user can open the application from the details page by clicking "Open" at the top right, but it's not very apparent and it is nicer to be taken directly to the application when clicking on it.

I looked at some other Open Data sites and noticed their applications don't have a direct link as well. 

Was this a recent change in the Hub? Any information is appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You are correct, apps should be loading directly rather than opening the interstitial dataset page. We are currently working to resolve the bug.

In the meantime, we released a capability a couple of months ago that you may want to try out for your applications. When the App page capability is enabled from your site configuration, apps will be rendered directly within your Hub rather than opening in a new tab (more here: A new search is coming for Hub! - Esri ). We'd love to hear what you think!

Maricela
New Contributor II

Great! I'll stay on the lookout for the bug fix. Also, I'll check with our admins to implement the new functionality; it looks useful! Do you know how this will affect mobile users?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Definitely test it out, but the mobile experience for apps that load from the Hub should be the the same as when they load directly. The only difference is that the end user will see the Hub header at the top: