Export Raster to AutoCAD Map

11-30-2018 11:00 AM
RichardBeauchamp
New Contributor

I will fully admit starting off that I am not an ESRI pro by any means.  While I've got 20+ years operating CAD, I've only had a few months to "play" with Arc Pro.  That said, I do (or at least it's supposed to be installed) have the CAD Toolbox with my Arc Pro subscription.

My dilemma is importing TIFF files into AutoCAD Map.  I downloaded a bunch of historical mine maps from the KY Mine Mapping Information System (Kentucky Mine Mapping Information System).  Their entire GIS system appears to be ESRI based and, as far as I can tell, all maps downloaded are supposed to be georeferenced.

My issue is getting these into AutoCAD Map.  There's no way around this as the remainder of the project has to be completed using mine planning software that runs through AutoCAD itself.  They import into Arc Pro fine.  That is to say, they not only import where they are supposed to be but also are scaled properly too.  

Right now, I have been able to get images exported from Arc Pro but when I bring them into AutoCAD, they come in at the origin (not georeferenced) and are not scaled.  Add to this that I'm importing the files in NAD83 but need to export them/transform them to NAD27.  Any help would be appreciated.

2 Replies
DrewGatlin
New Contributor

Richard Beauchamp‌, I'm running into similar issues. Have you found any solutions over the past two years?

0 Kudos
DrewGatlin
New Contributor

To anyone looking to solve somewhat similar issues, I found the following to work after starting with a mrSID file as the input raster dataset.

1) Open ArcPro, create a project and add your raster dataset (mine was a mrSID, as mentioned above) to the project. Verify the dataset is referenced properly.

2) Use Clip Raster to clip whatever subset of the raster dataset you need for your AutoCAD project, and place that into your .gdb - by default it should be added to your map. You'll need to define some type of extents for the clip using either your current view, a predefined rectangle, or some other type of feature (most commonly a polygon).

3) Right click on that clipped layer, scroll down to "Data" and choose "Export Raster"

4) Choose your coordinate system and whatever geographic transformations you need in the general settings of the tool, and keep everything else to default - my default was an 8 Bit Unsigned pixel type and a TIFF with no compression type. I believe AutoCAD will only use 8 Bit and under pixel type files.

5) Open your AutoCAD file in AutoCAD, and use the 'mapiinsert' command. I kept everything default and it all worked!

There might be better or faster ways to go about this - would be interested to hear from others.

0 Kudos