Wetland Determination Survey 123 form

11-28-2018 01:38 PM
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Has any DOTs implemented Collector/Survey 123 for their wetland delineations and wetland determination forms? Nebraska DOT has a pilot project under way to convert the wetland determination form into Survey 123 application. We have almost completed it but having a few issues regarding dominance test for vegetation along with a few issues regarding the report template. We are willing to share our insights so far and interested to see what other DOTs are doing. 

33 Replies
AngelaBozeman
New Contributor III

I am not with the DOT but I am looking to do something like this for wetlands assessments in Florida. What types of issues were you running into with the reporting template?

0 Kudos
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Angela,

We found it was due to how we had things setup in the repeat. I had the repeat in and out of a table inside of the word document and it needed to have the repeat all within the table itself. 

${#SoilProf}${Depth1}

${Color1} 

${PercSoil}

${ColorRedox1}

${PercSoilRedox1}

${SoilType}

${SoilLocation}

${SoilTextureRedox}${/SoilProf}

I had the repeat name and closing of the repeat outside of this table and sometimes it would break my export of the data in the report. 

For our dominance test we found out as well that survey 123 does not have the function to call previous entries from the repeat so we cant do the dominance calculation as needed. For now we will have the end user manually determine if they species is dominant or not. 

Thanks,

Claire

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Claire,

We have an upcoming enhancement (planned for 3.4) that may be able to help with the dominance testing - could I revisit this with you to work on the methodology?

ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

James - Yes absolutely! 

0 Kudos
StephenRice1
New Contributor

Were you able to reconcile the problems?

0 Kudos
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

James with this latest release in June does this have the ability to calculations within repeat field? 

Thanks,

Claire

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Claire,

Apologies for the delay in response.  Calculations with repeats is supported with custom JS functions and was the reason I wanted to try to re-engage on this.  That being said, we are also experiencing another issue with the (in-beta) custom JS function.

0 Kudos
ByronTsang
New Contributor II

Hey James Tedrick - Just curious, did those JS calculations with repeats get any traction?

Also, Claire Inbody A while back (version 2.3 i think?) I developed a Survey123 version of the USACE determination form for the Eastern Mountain & Piedmont region (for Georgia). I ran into the same problems with the vegetation dominance testing, so I ended up pulling everything out of repeats and making a series of duplicate questions.  This bloated the survey a lot and slowed down the loading times, but it made the calculations a lot simpler (if perhaps annoying to write). As an added benefit, it made exporting to then beta-only custom report templates possible. (see attached)

With new JS calculations available, I would love to return to this form and streamline it to use repeats.

0 Kudos
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Bryon - Ahh interesting. Our wetlands group moved on with a different product called Wildnote to use for the form. However, I would still be interested in what a custom JS calculation would do. 

0 Kudos