Polyline Intersect to Point Output

11-27-2018 04:53 PM
CamW
by
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to use the intersect tool with the input as polylines and I want the output as points. My issue is when the points are outputted, I get 2 points which is what I want, but they act as one shape.  To explain better, when I select one outputted point, the other one beside it also gets selected. It's as if they have become merged. Is there any way of separating points to be individual when there is an intersection when the polyline loops back with the line that it intersected.

See attached image for example.

Thanks

Tags (3)
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dan has already told you how to get back to single-part points.  In terms of understanding what is going on, the two points are not "merged," you simply have a multipoint feature class with some features having multiple points.  The Intersect—Help | ArcGIS Desktop documentation covers this:

output_type
(Optional)

Choose what type of intersection you want to find.

• INPUT The intersections returned will be the same geometry type as the input features with the lowest dimension geometry. If all inputs are polygons, the output feature class will contain polygons. If one or more of the inputs are lines and none of the inputs are points, the output will be line. If one or more of the inputs are points, the output feature class will contain points. This is the default.
  • LINE Line intersections will be returned. This is only valid if none of the inputs are points.
  • POINT Point intersections will be returned. If the inputs are line or polygon, the output will be a multipoint feature class.
String
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Occasional Contributor III

Like most things in ArcMap there's more than one way to do this. I believe that also in the Advanced Editing toolbar in ArcMap you could invoke Explode Multipart to achieve the same results as Dan Patterson‌ mentions above.

0 Kudos
CamW
by
New Contributor II

Amazing!! Thanks

0 Kudos