Unable to Install Arcgis Maps for Office

11-26-2018 11:53 AM
GeorgeMcKinney
New Contributor II

I am able to download the 32 bit program for my MS Office 2016, but when I go to install, I am given an error message to close Excel and Power Point before proceeding.  I ensure all are closed and then press the continue button, but am taken back to the same error message.  Can anyone help?

8 Replies
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning George! Hopefully, we can get you up and going here... Can we try to uninstall Maps for Office and reboot your machine and try to reinstall a fresh copy? Also what is the exact error message you are receiving? This may provide additional insight as to what might be happening. 

0 Kudos
GeorgeMcKinney
New Contributor II

Shannon,

First thanks for your help.

The issue I am having is what I call a infinite loop. I have attached a

screen capture of the two screens I get when I try to install the program.

When I click the "next" on the first capture, I get the second screen. I

ensure Excel and Power Point are closed and then click the "next" button on

this screen. I am then taken back to the first screen and re-click the

"next" button and am taken back to the second screen. The only way to stop

this is to hit cancel and not install the program.

I am doing this under administrator privileges and have installed it on

this computer before.

Hope this helps.

George

0 Kudos
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the additional details George. Even if we go on another loop at the very least we will make some progress and pull in further resources, if needed.

After some additional resources and I am wondering if we need to Download Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime from Official Microsoft Download Center ? Click on the link provide and follow the prompts as indicated. Let me know if this remedies our install issue. And in your reply, can you also include what version of Windows we working with. 

Regards (& fingers crossed), 

Shannon

0 Kudos
GeorgeMcKinney
New Contributor II

Shannon,

This did not work. I downloaded the program and even restarted the

computer to ensure it would be in the startup if needed.

The version of Windows 10 is 1511 (OS Build 10586.1176)

Thanks,

George

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi George,

I think the Maps for Office UN-install leaves behind some remnants in a folder that get in the way of the update/installs.

Then try deleting that folder, reboot, re-IN-stall Maps for Office

-Bill

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

here's the reference to Dustin Holt‌ but I do not remember (yet) the name and location of the "bad" folder.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think this was it:

C:\Users\<YourNameHere>\AppData\Roaming\ArcGIS Maps

0 Kudos
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Hi George! 

Ok, can you double check the program isnt running in the foreground (in taskmanger). Also you may want to check your CPU usage in taskmanager (see if it appears abnormal). I feel as we narrowed this issue down to, 2 possibilities, (1) powerpoint or excel is hiding in the background or (2) this maybe an bad install of Microsoft Office. At this point I would also recommend contacting Support Services. The analyst there have additional tools to help diagnosis what is going on. They can be reached at 888-377-4575 or by logging into the MyEsri portal and submitting a tech support request. 

I am confident we are still heading in a promising direction. Hang in there! 

Best, 

Shannon

0 Kudos