Laptop, Docking Station, Dual Monitor Setup Recommendations

11-26-2018 01:39 PM
LaceeCofer
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a laptop to use with a docking station and dual monitors at home. I want a laptop rather than a desktop to allow for work while I travel. Do you have any product recommendations or specific setups that you like? I have a good idea of what specifications are needed, but I wanted to hear from people who have worked on a setup like this before. Thanks!

More info: I will be using either Arc Desktop 10.6.1 or ArcGIS Pro 2.2, along with work in ArcGIS Online, Portal for ArcGIS, and Esri mobile apps, like Collector. I will also be creating/running very basic python scripts.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Hey Lacee, 

I always recommend taking a look at the specs from the Esri Partner Network page for Dell. 

I'm not advocating you purchase through Esri, but use the specs as a starting point for discussions with IT: Dell 

Let us know if you have further specific questions. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Lacee:

Did you ever make a laptop purchase with docking station?  If so, did you run into any issues running Pro when using the docking station as per other GeoNet posts:

https://community.esri.com/thread/236952-pro-maps-wont-load-when-using-docking-station

0 Kudos