Survey123 moving existing feature service points to 'null island'

11-21-2018 01:38 PM
DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

So, my last question helped us generate forms from our existing feature service. We are using it as a way to add serial numbers to meter swaps and to keep a record of that, unfortunately, when my crew selects in survey123 the meter that they're swapping and after they enter the serial number for the new one, it updates my feature service layer with that data which is what i want, BUT, it moves the point to NULL island. (thank god i stopped them after only 4 meters.) can anyone help explain what I might have done wrong or if yall have experienced the same issue. your help is very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you able to share your survey .xls and confirm they are using the inbox to update the attributes of existing features? Thanks

DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

I have. I just made another one to see if it still did the same thing, and to my surprise it didn't. The thing that I did different was I didn't save the survey for later, I sent it as soon as I filled in the numbers, whereas on the old one I saved a little cache and sent them all at once. It updated the serial number attribute without relocating my point. It's wierd. Now the old survey won't allow me to access the map from the list. I think, I'm just going to stay with the new one.. 😕

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David

Can you email the survey xls to jhasthorpe@esri.com? I'll see if I can replicate.

Also, can you confirm the following:

- The device and operating system you are using

- Your workflow (open from inbox and save to drafts?)

- Whether your device has a valid location when you were making the updates.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
DavidMcClennen
New Contributor III

Hi Johnathan,

Unfortunately, I deleted the old form before reading this email. But the issue is resolved. I didn’t set the “point” field to read only, so I think when they submitted their forms it was submitted with that field as null. I think this way because in the new form I did set that field to “read only”; when I tested it I didn’t fill in my date field (in the schema I have it set to “today()”) I assumed it would fill it in with just that. But it didn’t, so I went back to my outbox to resend it, and all I had to do was hit the drop down arrow and it preselected todays date and I was done. So, my theory is in the old one where the “point” field wasn’t set to “read only” I must of operated the same way, but since I set it to “read only” Null points haven’t been an issue. I feel like I sound crazy, does this track with you?

I tested it on my Galaxy S8+, and my ASUS Tablet, both were successful. I was in my office at the time so I didn’t have a valid signal, however the records already have existing points.

We have over 4000+ meters so I advise my guys to select the map from the inbox, zoom to the general area of town they’re in and hit refresh. Then, they select the list and in the search bar type the number of the address. They select the record, and fill in serial number, correct the address(if needed), and enter their initials and date. (I haven’t tested the save survey for later yet, but I’m about to see what building a little cache does) I’ve advised them to submit now instead of later.

Thank you for helping me, GeoNet is an amazing tool to be using and I appreciate your responses!

-David McClennen, GIS Tech.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David

For your information, you shouldn't have to make the geopoint question readonly in order to preserve the location when updating existing surveys. However, this does stop users from updating the location if this is not required. Can you confirm whether removing the read-only from the geopoint question will result in the return of the problem behavior? If so please share your survey.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos