Re-license ArcGIS Enterprise using Chef

11-20-2018 08:12 AM
DamienRobinson2
Esri Contributor

I was wondering if anyone has used Chef to re-license ArcGIS Enterprise? The github has plenty of info on building ArcGIS Enterprise from scratch, but i can't seem to much info on issuing a new license to an existing ArcGIS Enterprise (when renewal time comes).   chef cookbooks chef chef scripts 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BillBott
Occasional Contributor

Little late on this one, but FWIW don't see this as a stand-alone Chef script. Updating the license file is pretty straightforward though, replace the "keycodes" file in the license directory with the updated license file. The harder part is updating all the GDBs with the new SDE license. This part done through SQL or existing GDB connections

0 Kudos
DamienRobinson2
Esri Contributor

Thanks Bill!

I have decided to go with a serverless solution using a combination of remote PowerShell (dropping the license files locally and calling the command line tools for Portal/Server/Data Store licensing) and arcpy (UpdateEnterpriseGeodatabaseLicense for SDE license). 

BillBott
Occasional Contributor

Sounds like plan Damien. One catch, there is a bug in Pro 2.1-2.3 that won’t let you create new GDB connection for an unlicensed server. Since UpdateEnterpriseGeodatabaseLicense  requires an SDE file this becomes a bit of an issue if the server is in an unlicensed state. I submitted an issue to support.

Workarounds are to update the database directly with the new auth key or create the SDE connection file in ArcMap. 

ArcMap prompts the user to add the new license when creating a new connection to the database and it detects the server is unlicensed.

Good luck!

DamienRobinson2
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the heads up Bill Bott