Import Metadata Tool (ArcCat 10.4)

11-19-2018 12:39 PM
stephenBarton1
New Contributor II

I'm having some problems with the Import Metadata Tool in ArcCatalog 10.4.  I'm setting the Metadata options to FGDC CSDGM metadata. I have a basic workflow to export the metadata from one source element (an .mxd file), edit the metadata in a text editor, and then import the metadata to another output element (another .mxd file).  

When I view the metadata for an .mxd file (in the ArcCatalog Details tab) and export it to an XML file (with the Export Metadata Tool), edit the file in a text editor, I can't import the file (to the same or another .mxd file) with the Import Metadata Tool.  I will run the tool and get a "Succeeded at ..." message, but in the Results window there is a message that "The process did not execute because a pre-condition is false".  The Import Metadata Tool GUI also re-launches after this, but that just produces the same result.

I researched this pre-condition message, but I only found references to ModelBuilder elements that need to be run in sequence, and I did not find any pre-conditions that I can set for the Export Metadata Tool. I tried refreshing the folder connections in ArcCatalog, but that doesn't make a difference.  I have run the Upgrade Metadata Tool, but that does not make a difference.  I have run the XSLT Transformation Tool, but that does not make a difference.  

I may have found a work-around: when you save the metadata for an .mxd file (in the ArcCatalog Details tab), a metadata file is created with an *.mxd.xml extension that can be seen in the Windows directory (but not in ArcCatalog).  This .mxd.xml file can be edited and saved in a text editor, and if the root file name is the same as any .mxd file in the same folder, the metadata will be updated for that .mxd file.  

Has anyone else had these challenges with the Import Metadata Tool or used a different workflow in ArcCatalog?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies