Makestack in Raster Calculator

02-17-2011 09:38 AM
BlakeHelm
New Contributor
I clipped a raster using the data management tool>>raster>>raster processing>>clip. The clip was a polygon. The output were 4 different rasters (I believe in GRID format, though I am not sure). I need a multi-band image and not 4 seperate rasters. In previous versions of ArcGIS you could use a makestack command in the raster calculator to associate the individual color bands into a 3-band image raster, can you do this in Arc 10? If so, does anyone know where I can find some documentation? I've never used this tool before so some detailed documentation would be helpful. Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesBornemann
New Contributor
The tool "Composite Bands" should work for you. In raster calculator you can use the following expression, with the band names separated by semi-colon:

CompositeBands_management (in_rasters, out_raster)
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
One of the "4 rasters"  is the composite image.  The other 3 are the bands. The clip tool doesn't work the way its being described in this thread.  It's not even capable of doing what is being suggested.

Eric
0 Kudos
ElizabethGraham
Esri Contributor
If you have separate rasters that need to be combined into a multiband raster Composite Bands is the correct tool to use.  However, this tool should not be used inside the Raster Calculator, there is no need.  Just go ahead and use the Composite Bands geoprocessing tool from the Management toolbox --> Raster toolset (use search if you want to find it easily).
0 Kudos