Change web map content only using story map action (Map Series)

11-14-2018 11:56 AM
ChrisTaylor
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm developing a story map using the map series template and am using web maps to take advantage of the map location synchronization across tabs. The user establishes their location at the beginning of the story through an address search (though passing in url parameters would be even better ). I want to create a story action that only manipulates the content of the web map - just turns on the imagery layer, for example - but everything else stays the same, especially the current extent. Neither of the current options seem to do what I'm after - 'Map default' takes me back to the initial extent of the web map (zoomed way out), and 'Custom configuration' requires me to set one specific location that would be used each time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Chris

I've tried this and like you I couldn't get this to work: if I configure a story action that turns on a layer in the it seems to apply an extent as part of that action, so if a reader manually zooms in and then clicks the action, the extent of the map changes back to what it was before. I'll check into this and see if it is a known issue in Story Map Series.

Rupert

ChrisTaylor
New Contributor II

Thanks Rupert - were you able to determine if it's a known issue?

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reminder on this. I'm going to log an issue about this.

Rupert

0 Kudos