Generate MapService tiles cache from another machine than the server itself

Jump to solution
11-09-2018 09:49 AM
MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

I have a MapService published on ArcGIS Server v10.3. I would like to generate the tiles cache for this service. For an unknown reason ArcGIS Server CPUs are getting overloaded to 99%-100% after a few day of processing.

When that happen, all the other services published to ArcGIS Server are not responding very well until I kill the tool that generate the tiles. Then, I can restart the tool and continue to generate the tiles for another few days before the CPUs get overloaded again.

I would like to know if there is a way to generate the tiles for a MapService from another machine, like a virtual machine with an ArcGIS Desktop license and a writing access to the server drive disk.

The generate time is not really important. I would like to prevent the tiles generation process to have a negative impact on all the services.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Maxime,

You can execute the Manage Tile Cache tool on another machine that is running ArcGIS Desktop/Pro.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Maxime,

You can execute the Manage Tile Cache tool on another machine that is running ArcGIS Desktop/Pro.

MaximeDemers
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for the info!

Just a question, how can I link the MapService with the tile cache generated from this tool?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I should have elaborated.  If you place the cache in the arcgiscache directory, the service should read it successfully.