Any functionality to list businesses and addresses within project area / buffer?!

Jump to solution
11-07-2018 04:05 PM
CharlesGuiam1
New Contributor II

I need to determine a list of businesses surrounding a project site (generally a quarter mile, half mile, and a mile from the project site.  I have a list of business licenses within my jurisdiction, but my project site is on the border of another jurisdiction. Therefore using a report such as the Business Locator Report is invaluable to compile a list of businesses within a certain distance of my project site.

I need to filter by type of business, for example, all medical services related businesses. I don't believe this is possible through the Business Locator Report. Does anyone have other suggestions how to filter by business type (either before running the report, or some other functionality that does not require a report)?

The Business Locator Report limits the number of businesses to 250 businesses. I met that cap within 0.63 miles of my project site. If I can filter by business type, I can probably get all of the businesses of that type within a mile of my project. Any solutions to expand the 250 business list cap (or again, filter by business type)? 

I am aware that I can filter the report list by looking at each SIC code, however, it would be great to export the report as an excel and sort by SIC code since the report is automatically sorted by distance to the main point feature. Also a SIC code description would be helpful to add to the report. Anyone know of any solutions that can generate an excel of the business list that comes from the Business Locator report?

Finally, why doesn't the Business Locator report work using a polygon feature? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Charles, glad to know the workflow was extremely helpful for you!

With regards to missing address number in exported excel, Esri is in an agreement with the business data provider "Infogroup" to hide address number in the exported excel or exported shapefile. 

Thanks,

Business Analyst Team

View solution in original post

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Charles,

Have you tried “Businesses and Facilities search” workflow?

1. Bring your site on the map
  2. Select your site as the “search Extent”
  3. You can complete your search by entering business name or using SIC/NAICS code.
  4. Limit your search to 1000 or expand it to 5000 results

V. You can view the results in table format or export it to Excel, if needed.

Also,you can filter all your related businesses through a newly added feature "Nearby location table" in the classic “Build reports” that should help you achieve your desired result.

1. Log into the application
  2. Reports-> Build Reports-> Build a reports from variables, starting with a blank template
  3. Blank template-> insert item-> Nearby Location table

IV. You can either create a Pre-made Nearby locations table with Esri’s already populated businesses.

(OR)

V. Create a custom business table by choosing “Use ESRI layers” -> Select Business

VI. Check Business Name and SIC Code, click Next

VII. From here you can select the business attributes you need (e.g. SIC Code) and define your filter at the next step(e.g. SIC Code: 013202) to show all businesses that meet the criteria. Click Apply.

Save the report template. Go to Run Reports and run the report for your preferred location site.

The above new feature is one of the most powerful capabilities we added to the BA Web Application recently. I highly recommend to check it out. Here are some resources. Please try the workflow and let us know what you think!

Thanks,

Business Analyst Team

CharlesGuiam1
New Contributor II

This is almost what I needed. Being able to export as an excel or as a layer (and eventually shapefile via ArcGIS Online) is extremely useful, however I am unable to export the full address of each searched business. 

You'll notice in the community analyst window, the full address is displayed. In the excel export, or shapefile export, the address number is not included. Is there documentation on why addresses are not entirely exported?

Building a report and inserting "Nearby Locations" also does not provide an option to view the address.

Issue

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Charles, glad to know the workflow was extremely helpful for you!

With regards to missing address number in exported excel, Esri is in an agreement with the business data provider "Infogroup" to hide address number in the exported excel or exported shapefile. 

Thanks,

Business Analyst Team