Does ArcGIS 10.1 support SQL Server 2017?

11-08-2018 09:29 AM
PeteLeveson
New Contributor

We are upgrading the SQL Server environment that hosts our corporate Geodatabases to SQL Server 2017. Currently, we are using ArcSDE 10.1 and desktop 10.1 to connect to these Geodatabases. I have only found reference to ArcGIS 10.1 supporting SQL2012 but was wondering if anyone else is running a more current SQL environment with this version of Arc and if simply setting database compatibility level  to 11.0 will address any compatibility issues with 10.1 SDE and desktop?

PS Ideally we would upgrade our Arc desktop environment but we are currently constrained by 3rd party application from doing that.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Pete,

> Does ArcGIS 10.1 support SQL Server 2017? ... if simply setting database compatibility level  to 11.0 will address any compatibility issues with 10.1 SDE and desktop?

This is not a good approach/workflow to apply to your "corporate Geodatabases" and I would strongly advise against it. The DBMS platform you want to run your geodatabases on, was developed many years past the release of ArcSDE 10.1 - I'm unsure if you will be able to run the SDE command line utilities on SQL Server 2017.

FYI, ArcGIS 10.1 is officially retired software (since Jan 1, 2018) - so if you do encounter technical issues, you won't be able to contact Esri Tech Support for help.

Esri Support ArcGIS Server 10.6 (10.6.1) 

Hope this helps,

PeteLeveson
New Contributor

Thanks for the update Derek

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Kudos