Use "webmap" as a basemap in ArcGIS PRO?

Jump to solution
11-08-2018 06:23 AM
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, i'm a GIS newbie, so some of my terminology probably will be incorrect, but hopefully I can get across what I'm asking...

I'm doing a "Fire Service Maps" project with the express intent of printing a Run Book.  I've gone through some trial runs and the results with the basemaps I have available are less than impressive for the purpose.

I'm searching for a plain black-and-white basemap.  Everything is either greyscale or full color.  When printed on a black-and-white printer, the background shading makes the important elements hard to see (not to mention quite a waste of toner- we'll probably end up printing 25 or so books at 125 pages each!).  

So on my quest I have found an ESRI basemap that seems like it would be PERFECT for my task.  However, here is its intended use paragraph:

This map is designed to be used as the base map in a web map.  You can add this layer to a web map and save as your own map.  If you would like to use this map as a reference overlay layer, refer to the transparent tile layer, Black and White Map (transparent).

The link for the page for this basemap:  Black and White Map

I did connect to th arcgis portal for basemaps, but I can't find that one listed anywhere.  

So the bottom-line question is, is there a way to use that "Black and White Map" as a basemap in my ArcGIS project?

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Like that item says, "You can add this layer to a web map and save as your own map."

So in ArcGIS Online (signed in to your organization account - same that you use in Pro) add the layer to a web map and save it.

Now in Pro, look at your Portal content (refresh if it doesn't show up right away):

You can see that it is there.  Right-click > Add and Open.  It adds the web map to the Pro project.  

I suppose this isn't 100% necessary, but its the quickest way I found to get the layer that we want without hunting around through online items.

Switch over to your Project tab, right-click Maps > New Basemap:

Now drag and drop the Black and White layer into your newly created basemap.

Name appropriately:

Now you can add data to it.

You can also go into the project options and set that to be used for new maps and scenes:

So now when I add a new map into my project that is what it uses:

Hopefully this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Like that item says, "You can add this layer to a web map and save as your own map."

So in ArcGIS Online (signed in to your organization account - same that you use in Pro) add the layer to a web map and save it.

Now in Pro, look at your Portal content (refresh if it doesn't show up right away):

You can see that it is there.  Right-click > Add and Open.  It adds the web map to the Pro project.  

I suppose this isn't 100% necessary, but its the quickest way I found to get the layer that we want without hunting around through online items.

Switch over to your Project tab, right-click Maps > New Basemap:

Now drag and drop the Black and White layer into your newly created basemap.

Name appropriately:

Now you can add data to it.

You can also go into the project options and set that to be used for new maps and scenes:

So now when I add a new map into my project that is what it uses:

Hopefully this helps!

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Excellent thanks!!!!  Took me a while (mostly trying to first get it into an arcgis online map!) but once I did that it was easy to get it into my PRO project following your tutorial.

Thanks again!  

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Hi again Kory!  I did manage to get the B&W layer into my map- but not quite the way described above.  I saved as a layer file and then imported.  But obviously that is more of a hack then a basemap solution.

Where I get stuck in the above steps is "drag and drop the Black and White layer into your newly created basemap.".  I am assuming the source for the drag is the map listed in the "Portal" tab, and I should drag it into the <empty> newly created "basemap" map area?  If so, when I do that it doesn't let me drop the object.  When I roll over the empty map area, the icon changes to the Ø symbol, which of course means "Nuh-uh, don't even try to put that here!!!".  My end goal would hopefully be to have this map on the list of basemaps selectable to every project when I hit the "basemaps" icon.

Thanks again!  

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hopefully this helps.

0 Kudos