AnsweredAssumed Answered

OpenStreetMap Vector Basemap Status?

Question asked by Crittermap on Nov 7, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 11, 2019 by robert_green-esristaff

I'm wondering what the status is for the OpenStreetMap vector basemap. Should I use it yet?

The announcement from July:

Over the next couple months, we’ll update the vector basemap regularly with the latest OSM data. We’ll also continue to refine our use of the OSM cartography to improve the map display and performance. Lastly, we’ll make some updates to our apps to take full advantage of the new OSM vector basemap, such as enabling proper display of attribution and style customization. Once we wrap up this beta release (planned for the September update to ArcGIS Online), we’ll integrate the new OSM map into our gallery of vector basemaps so it’s accessible to all ArcGIS apps that use them.

So far I see,

You did update the vector basemap regularly with the latest OSM data. I see it is now v2.

You did refine the use of OSM cartography - you even added footpaths - I care about that.

You did update some of the apps - the Vector Style Editor now can do more things.

I can't tell if you enabled "proper display of attribution and style customization"

The Vector Style editor works off of layer names, like the output of ArcGIS PRO. You can change style of any of the layers that Esri chose, but without knowing attributes (probably stripped out), you can't do the rules based styling that is traditional in the vector style spec. If ESRI changes the layer names, the styles will be broken.

I don't know if rules based styling, with published attributes, is in the plan. Its not mandatory for me. But if it is, I imagine it would make any styles I create obsolete. If you change the schema - ie names of layers and sublayers, it would do that anyway.

I do not know if you wrapped up the beta release (planned for the September update to ArcGIS Online). In other words, is there a OpenStreetMap_v3 planned?

Is it too early to start creating styles based on OpenStreetMap_v3?

is it too early to start creating preplanned workflow chunks?

Outcomes