Portal vs Server login

Jump to solution
11-07-2018 11:14 AM
ChrisRobinson6
New Contributor II

I have ArcGIS Portal for our org which is federated. I cannot create a connection to ArcGIS server using my named users anymore. I can only connect as the admin which means when I create a service I have to go into portal as the admin and change the owner to the person I want to manage it.  It also means users cannot create their own services.  Why is this the case?  When I go into Server to look at the users it states the users are managed in Portal, but I cannot use any of the users from portal to access ArcGIS Server.  Something does not seem right.  Thoughts?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisRobinson6
New Contributor II

I found my answer which is to put nothing in the Username/password section when creating the connection to ArcGIS server.  This will bring up a dialog box which will then allow you to use your windows login.

https://community.esri.com/thread/122100

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Only members that are publishers or administrators can publish to Server once you federate Portal and Server. Members with the "User" role won't be able to publish content.

0 Kudos
ChrisRobinson6
New Contributor II

Correct.  My personal portal login is an administrator.

0 Kudos
ChrisRobinson6
New Contributor II

I should clarify I can only connect to ArcGIS Server through ArcCatalog or ArcMap as the ArcGIS Server Administrator to publish services as no Portal logins work.  When I go to ArcGIS Server Manager to "users" it states that the users are managed in Portal.

0 Kudos
ChrisRobinson6
New Contributor II

I found my answer which is to put nothing in the Username/password section when creating the connection to ArcGIS server.  This will bring up a dialog box which will then allow you to use your windows login.

https://community.esri.com/thread/122100

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Ah, didn't realize you were using IWA/SAML. Yes, if you aren't using built-in users, leave them blank.

0 Kudos