AGOL layer does not draw

Jump to solution
11-06-2018 05:16 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi folks, 

I have a landuse layer published and shared through this map: http://arcg.is/0TWKLa 

The Layer has 1010 polygons. When I published it I have set the maximum to 2000 features. I activated Optimize Layer Drawing as suggested somewhere else, I have rebuild the spatial index, I have defined the extent but the error message "The layer did not draw completely" maintains without actually drawing anything. I can open the attribute table though, can select a feature, can zoom to the layer and also see the selected feature in the map but nothing else. What can I do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri Support used the Check Geometry tool and found a couple of errors. After using the Repair Geometry tool and overwriting the Feature service it works like a charm! 

Thanks Andreas Mack‌!

Edit: Interestingly, for one of the layers the repair tool only identified errors in ArcGIS Pro not in ArcGIS 10.6. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Nicole,

I get the same results when I open your map, so it's not just your machine/internet connection, etc. 

I also had this same issue working with a large parcel layer. I tried the same things you did, optimizing the layer, rebuilding spatial index, etc but it didn't help much. What I did was rather than have the default view of the map zoomed out to view the entire county, I zoomed in to a section of it so it didn't have to draw as many parcels on start up. Then I just instructed people who were using the app that they probably would not see all of the parcels if they zoomed out too far. Not the best workaround, but I was not able to find any other solution. The only way I could get all of the parcels to render was in ArcMap, or if we downloaded the map for offline use in Collector. 

I had some people suggest creating a tile layer from the feature layer to help with faster rendering, but that didn't work for me because I needed the layer to be a hosted feature layer with querying and editing capabilities. However, if you only need it to be "view only", this option could possibly help you. 

Anyway, not much help, I know, but just wanted to say that you're not alone. I'd be curious to see what other suggestions people have. Best of luck! 

-Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

It looks like a query is returning with an invalid response.

Try rebuilding the spatial index:Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I had rebuilt the spatial index after uploading and just did it again but without seeing a change.

How did you find this query result and any idea how I can remove the query? I don't find any  query in my layer, not online and not in the mxd from where I uploaded it. 

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you Katherine! I don't think that it is related to showing 1000 polygons - we have other projects with far more polygons to draw. And even if I zoom into the map ending up with only a couple of polygons that would be visible in this extent I don't see anything. 

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I have now a second map with the same problem: http://arcg.is/4jrmT 

For this one I already tried: 

- Saving all features to a newly created feature class. 

- Uploading the new feature class separately

- rebuilding index and optimize layer drawing

- define extent

Same behavior as the Bugesera Landuse from the original question. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Nicole,

Please get in touch with tech support to look into this further.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri Support used the Check Geometry tool and found a couple of errors. After using the Repair Geometry tool and overwriting the Feature service it works like a charm! 

Thanks Andreas Mack‌!

Edit: Interestingly, for one of the layers the repair tool only identified errors in ArcGIS Pro not in ArcGIS 10.6. 

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Nicole:

You said "Interestingly, for one of the layers the repair tool only identified errors in ArcGIS Pro not in ArcGIS 10.6."

This is not surprising to me because the Check Geometry tool in Pro has 2 options the ESRI check and the OGC check (ArcMap only the ESRI option).  I had an issue with an SDE layer that worked fine in ArcMap (at least until v10.5.1 - at 10.6.1 it was broken).  The Check Geometry tool in Pro did not detect issues with ESRI's check, but it did with the OGC check.  The geometry issue was solved by exporting the data into a file gdb and then appending the data into a new SDE feature class with the same schema as the original SDE data that had somehow become corrupted over time (The data was as expected for many years).

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

It was surprising for me because I used the ESRI method for repairing the geometry in ArcGIS Pro which I assumed would be the same as the repair tool in ArcMap. 

0 Kudos