efinnen

Generate Spill plume factoring in volume.

Discussion created by efinnen on Feb 16, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 by efinnen
Ack, spatial Analyst brain not functioning as well as I would like right now. Alright I know I did this �??back in the day�?�, but unfortunately that was 8+ years ago and was using a custom written ArcObjects application (which I didn�??t write)

I have a point dataset with a calculated liquid discharge volume on it for each point. I want to create a raster/polygon that corresponds to the �??spread�?� that gets created from each discharge point.

As an example a hypothetical point has a discharge of 1000 Cubic Meters and my DEM is a 30M cell size. For testing purposes let�??s just say each cell �??absorb�?� 5 Cubic Meters so ideally I want a product that can represent something that�??s roughly 200 cells.

The best posting I found that addressed this so far was one from 3 years ago but it isn�??t exactly what I want.
http://forums.esri.com/thread.asp?c=93&f=995&t=225744

I can generate a linear �??raindrop�?� trace from each point to the boundaries  of the DEM, and I can do the down gradient analysis fairly easily from the forums posting above. But ideally I want to replicate something that would show some overland pooling and stop when the product is done.

Any thoughts /suggestions would be appreciated. I'm assuming this can be done with standard tools but I very well might be wrong...

-e

Caveats : At the end of the project I ideally want to pass this toolbox around to some others who will not have Admin rights on their computers. Therefore the solution needs to be some sort of combination of �??out of the box�?� Python/Model Builder (or even VBA)with Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst  (No Geo Hec-RAS, Arc Hydro etc..)

Outcomes