PLS CAD and ESRI Integration

11-01-2018 11:13 AM
PaulWirth
Occasional Contributor

I want to automate the process of exporting PLS CAD designs files into ESRI usable format. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

I can export individual reports to get what I need in excel and then put them together and import the X,Y.

I can also export it as a XML file, but as of yet cannot figure out how to import it into a geodatabase, so I don't know if that would work.

Does anyone have any other ideas that would help? I have a few hundred files to do this with and want to automate the process for the future.

6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Paul,

What are your PLS CAD format in? Is it not just dwg or a dgn? If so, you could look at the CAD to Geodatabase tool (in Pro or ArcMap)

CAD to Geodatabase—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-7SLqM7dlvYNN
New Contributor III

We have Lines Engineers who use it and AFAIK it can export .dxf and potentially KMZ\KML according to this. We've only managed to get our hands on .dxf's and they're a nightmare due to the complexity. I suspect if you can get a KML it'll be more simplified geometry which might work better.

Last bullet point on this page mentions exporting shapefiles for 30+ report but I'm not sure what the reports are (have never used the software).

If you manage to find a streamlined process I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Pat_Hohl
Esri Contributor

If you are still interested in this, there will be a presentation by Ben Brown from AEP at the User Conf. 2020. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RobertKrisher @Pat_Hohl anyone got a copy of that presentation/video? The uc2020 domain no longer exists and I can't seem to find the 2020 user conference listed here https://www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/index/proceedings . Thanks

0 Kudos
Pat_Hohl
Esri Contributor

@RobertKrisher  Unfortunately, that session is not planned to exist in the permanent proceedings.  

0 Kudos