Heat Maps

10-29-2018 03:14 AM
BarryUser
New Contributor II

hello
We want to display protected areas (different polygons Feature Classes), as a heatmap. Since the protected area perimeters are of different sizes, it is not advisable to convert the polygons into points (1 point = 1 polygon). In addition, the polygons overlap.

How could the protected areas nevertheless be represented as a heat map (or similar)? A perimeter-sharp representation is not desirable.

Thank you.

#Heat Maps, protected areas#

#hotspots

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Barry why are you focussed on doing a heatmap? If you have areas of overlap, then you can 'union' the layers so that  the overlaps can be identified as belong to 2 or more protected zones.  The number of zones could be calculated as a field to use as a 'weighting' field should you want to symbolized with a weighted attribute.

If it is the distinct boundaries that is an issue, then that is the reality and obscuring those boundaries actually hides that fact.

Heat maps have their place, but IMHO, It don't think this is one of those.

Perhaps if you have a visual outlining the issue, it may help with other suggestions

BarryUser
New Contributor II

Thanks for helping me. The solution your mentioned was also in my mind. But i was wonderung, if there is a way to create a heatmap out of polygons that makes sense¨.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I can only think of a few good use cases for heatmaps.  I do see a lot of overuse because they are fashionable

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

One of the things you could do is using the tool Create Random Points—Help | ArcGIS Desktop . This allows you to specify a constraining_feature_class and use a field based on your polygon area with the number of points to be generated for each polygon. 

BarryUser
New Contributor II

Hi, I was thinking of such a tool, but was not able to find it. I will check it as well. Thanks so much!

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You're welcome, hope it works!

0 Kudos