ArcGIS Pro text case setting overrides label expression

Jump to solution
10-24-2018 09:26 AM
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

After many minutes trying to understand why the title case label expression we have built and use in other projects in both map and pro to modify our all caps street names was validating but not changing the labels, we discovered the setting under Label Class > Symbol > Appearance was set to "Upper case". On changing the setting to "Normal", the expression worked. So.... the appearance setting overrides the expression. Is this expected behaviour or a bug? ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I see no bug reports.  Upgrading to a more recent version might confirm that it is the way it works or it isn't working as you think it should.  In either situation ArcGIS Ideas‌ might be the location to suggest some option 'toggle' to establish whether things have a switchable parameter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I see no bug reports.  Upgrading to a more recent version might confirm that it is the way it works or it isn't working as you think it should.  In either situation ArcGIS Ideas‌ might be the location to suggest some option 'toggle' to establish whether things have a switchable parameter.

0 Kudos
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, we'll see what the upgrade does.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that this is a bug. I have seen a similar thread where this was discussed: Labels & Arcade Expression- is this a bug or by design? 

Important is to know the sequence of what is happening under the hood: 

• You have your text in your attribute
  • The expression is applied
  • Finally the style is applied

If the style makes your text all upper case or lower case after the expression has done the opposite, you will not be able to see the effect of the expression, since the style overwrites it.

PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Thank you Xander! This is the kind of detail I was looking for but did not find in the documentation.