Bentley BIM Models in ArcGIS

10-22-2018 11:54 PM
AnushSagar1
New Contributor

Hi,

As per our contracts document, our Bentley BIM models needs to be integrated within ArcGIS platform. Are there any tools available to consume Bentley's InRoads or OpenRoads technology. The BIM Models are in DGN formats. I opened these files in ArcScene but however there is geometry and attribute loss. I tried with interoperability tools also but no good luck. Can you help me with the workflow or what can be done??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

I recommend trying to open the DGN in ArcGIS Pro, our new 64-bit desktop application that is a combination of ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcScene & ArcGlobe. There are many help topics related to using CAD data in ArcGIS Pro (both Bentley and AutoDesk).

ArcGIS Pro is included in your ArcGIS Desktop license, so you can download it from MyEsri if you are current on your maintenance. If you don't have it, you can download a free trial.

Here's the abbreviated workflow:

1. Create a project
  2. Insert a local scene
  3. Connect to folder storing your data, then drag & drop the DGN on to your map

If it doesn't draw correctly, check to see if it's a Supported Microstation element

If it draws in the wrong location, you might need to georeference your CAD data

If it does draw correctly, you can convert it to a 3D multipatch feature stored in a geodatabase. 

You could even take it one step further and share your 3D scene to ArcGIS Online to have an online 3D web scene.

0 Kudos
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor

In addition to the standard ArcGIS Desktop support for .DGN, you might  also  find some value in a  workflow that includes the export of data to shapefile or other Esri supported formats (DGN/DWG) and perhaps,  also I-Model converted through Safe Software’s FME:  https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/imodel/imodel.htm 

For Architectural data workflows including  .IFC through the ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension or FME are also possibilities.

-Don