Pan with mouse wheel in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
10-22-2018 04:03 PM
MatthewLeonard
New Contributor III

Is it possible to pan by holding down the mouse wheel in ArcGIS Pro?  I was able to do this in ArcMap with the same mouse I'm using now, but I can't in Pro.  Is there a setting I can change to enable this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

Yes it is possible. I just tested it in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 and was able to pan by holding down the middle mouse wheel button while I had the select tool selected in a Map View.

Note it did not work for me when the Explore tool was selected - holding down the left mouse button enabled me to pan the map. 

Hope this helps, Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

Yes it is possible. I just tested it in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 and was able to pan by holding down the middle mouse wheel button while I had the select tool selected in a Map View.

Note it did not work for me when the Explore tool was selected - holding down the left mouse button enabled me to pan the map. 

Hope this helps, Chris

MatthewLeonard
New Contributor III

Well, I opened the map again later on, after shutting everything down and restarting, and the panning worked as expected.  Not sure why it wasn't working before, but oh well...

0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III

As of v 2.3.2 this (panning with the mouse wheel), like many things in Pro, is half baked. Still feels like some kind of Alpha release. The behaviour is inconsistent and flaky. Sometimes it works, other times the middle button is not responsive until the explore tool is clicked.  We are almost entirely migrated to pro and forcing ourselves to use Pro for everything (90% of the time) but when doing heavy duty editing, clipping, merging copying and pasting of features between layers, the experience is one of constant frustration with so many bugs and glitchy and strange behaviour. Only going to ArcMap when necessary but it is very much still necessary. Whenever I go back to ArcMap it amazes me ho fast and reliable it is. It may be old, it may be 32 bit and on a single thread but when it comes to editing, Arc Map is still the king.  Designing the entire editing process in Pro should not be left entirely to programmers and people that do not actually spend days and weeks editing complex geometries. 

MiguelMartinezYordan
Occasional Contributor
JakubSisak your comments are still valid now in September 2023. Everything that supposed to be simple, ESRI programmers always find a way to damage it... It doesn't matter how many new updates and patches ESRI built, ArcGIS Pro always feels like half baked. And your final comment is the best, "Designing the entire editing process in Pro should not be left entirely to programmers and people that do not actually spend days and weeks editing complex geometries". 100% agreed!!!
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This was just submitted https://community.esri.com/ideas/17748 You can add your vote if this is something that is impacting you in Pro.