Mosaic Dataset

10-22-2018 06:29 AM
DaveTenney
Occasional Contributor III

All

has anyone found a way to make a mosaic dataset backward compatible?

I have a mosaic created in 10.5.1 and would like to be able to consume it in 10.2.2, would be awesome if this were possible as I don't want to waste the time in creating a whole new dataset just for a different version.

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dave,

Try creating a File Geodatabase for version 10.0 using the Create File GDB tool.  Then, create the mosaic dataset in this File Geodatabase.

DaveTenney

Jake,

thats what im trying to avoid doing, i dont want to have to create a whole new mosaic dataset (1tb raw imagery).

Dave

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Hi Dave,

there is no need to create the Mosaic in there "from scratch". Just create it in the 10.0 GDB you created and then use "Add raster" - but add the Table-Raster-type and specify the table of the 10.5 Mosaic. That SHOULD work and just takes seconds ... Let us know if this works with tables of a more recent version ...

Guenter 

DaveTenney

Unfortunately, that process fails pretty quickly, see the attached error message.

Dave

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Shame, I tried here with a MD. The error message "irritates me". Can you try to export the table of the 10.5 MD first to a stand-alone table and then try again? I did it here with a simple example ... The Table Raster type only REQUIRES 4 fields: Raster, Name, Group, Tag - but will respect others if present and load them. We use this a lot ... and I'd ask you to not give up on it too quickly for your question 🙂
Guenter 

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

Guenter,

could you please outline the steps to export the table? i thought i knew what i was doing but i guess not so much

thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Hi Dave,one first, as 

as you are talking 10.5 and 10.2 I assume you are working with ArcMap. There are more ways to do this, here a list of options, applicable when different situations are given. 

METHOD 1 - Standard to create Derived Mosaic Dataset from Source mosaic dataset
(This actually is the method again that does not seem to work for you - but in case there is no version issue this is a recommended workflow to create derived mosaics from source mosaics - see the standard imagery workflow in this compilation of imagery workflows)

Quote: "Typically rasters are added to derived mosaic datasets by using the Table raster type and selecting the source mosaic datasets. This raster type ensures that every item in the source mosaic dataset is duplicated in the derived mosaic datasets. Although this may result in a large number of records in the derived mosaic dataset, it is more scalable than adding the source mosaic datasets as a single item. This is because when using a derived mosaic dataset, all the records and associated raster item properties are quickly accessible, but if the mosaic dataset references other mosaic datasets instead, the system may need to open multiple tables to access different rasters in multiple source mosaic datasets. Although some database connections are cached, the system does not cache the mosaic dataset, so it is not a scalable approach."

1. Assuming you have your ready to use MosaicDataset (which is the source)
  2. Create a new mosaic dataset (the target)
  3. Add Rasters and select Table Raster type as Raster Type and Dataset as Input Data :

4. As Source navigate to your existing MosaicDataset from Step 1 and select it
  5. [optionally more settings]
  6. Press o.k

METHOD 2 -  Create an export of your footprint table of the existing MosaicDataset

That would be the immediate reply to your last question. If the upper method fails for some reason, you can still ...

1. add your existing MosaicDataset to ArcMap
  2. From the Footpint-Sublayer select  Data --> Export Data
  3. Write the Footprint Layer into a FeatureClass in a Geodatabase
  4. Proceed as described in Method one step 3 - but this time select the created footprint featureclass as Source in step 4

METHOD 3 -  The bare minimum - again tricked from your existing MosaicDataset
As the input really only needs to be a table with paths, you could also create this table based on the data in your existing MosaicDataset. In this case the Add Rasters process will basically have to re-read all the properties, but the collection/compilation in your existing MD is still used

1.  In ArcCatalog navigate to your existing MosaicDataset
  2. Right-click it --> Export --> Paths
  3. This will create a table in your defined destination that only has a "Paths" field and the reference to the ObjectIDs in your old MD
  4. Whats in the paths field needs to be in a field called RASTER - and, as described in the Help for Table Raster Type you need additional fields
    called NAME, GROUP and TAG. In Name usually a path-component without the path is written. Into the RASTER field just copy the content of the PATH field. The others can be empty if you want.
  5. A modified table like described in this step 4 can again be loaded via the table raster type as described in Method 1 and 2

Your good with this?

Guenter   

DaveTenney

Guenter,

thanks again for all the help...

1) yes this does not work

2) this does not work either as the existing MD is in 10.5.1

a) when i export the footprint to a gdb(10.5.1) all the features are present

b) when the gdb is brought to 10.2.2 environment and read in, no features exist

1) i also attempted to import the features of the 10.5.1 gdb to the 10.2.2 gdb with no success

3) i will attempt this step next

Dave

0 Kudos
DaveTenney

All

some final thoughts on this issue...

1) we were able to kind of create a statewide mosaic (85,000 rasters)

a. there are a handful of gaps in the imagery where the underlying rasters could not be loaded and the overviews could not be built

2) im starting to wonder if creating a mosaic is really the most efficient manner of serving out the statewide imagery

3) in the past we have been able to throw all the rasters into the mosaic building process, this time around we have been encountering errors every step of the way

a. esri support has been involved

b. we are making progress, but at a snail's pace

i am open to any and all thoughts/input on the matter.

dave

0 Kudos