Trend Line Chart

10-19-2018 11:18 AM
AndrewHargreaves2
Occasional Contributor III

How do I create a trend line in a line chart within ArcGIS Pro? For example, as well my line chart hitting each individual data point I would like an average trend.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

These are your options within ArcGIS Pro

Types of tabular charts—Charts | ArcGIS Desktop 

You can use matplotlib and python which comes packaged with pro, but it requires some scripting.

Examples can be found here

Matplotlib Examples — Matplotlib 2.0.2 documentation 

0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves2
Occasional Contributor III

hmmmm...OK, so you're stating I can NOT have a trend line out of the box?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the line chart or scatterplot... both require that the X-axis be a continuous variable.    If you have discontinuities in time, you might have to produce separate xy pairs to plot those (I don't use arc* anything graphing so I haven't explored at all)

Other packages which you have access to with the ArcGIS Pro's anaconda installation (ie Matplotlib) have a much broader range of graphing options.  You can also import other packages into the Anaconda distribution, but I wouldn't recommend going that route until you have to do more than the occasional graph

FloraVale
Esri Contributor

Hi wws_ahargreaves ,

Can you give me an example of a use case in which you would add a trend to a line chart?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Unless I misread Andrew's post, I think he wants an xy plot with the plot points connected (ie his trend), then he needs a regression plot through the points that make up the trend.

My definitions of xy vs line are:

xy graph: x and y represent variables on an interval/ratio scale

line plot:  x is measured on a nominal or ordinal scale

0 Kudos