CAD conversion and pipe trace

10-19-2018 05:44 AM
JonathanHolden-Remick1
New Contributor

In AutoCAD we have built a complex multi room multi floor building. The building comes into Arc and ArcScene as a multipatch. We also have a 3D polyline shapefile representing pipework within the walls and floors of the building. The end goal is to be able to calculate the depth of the pipe within the wall or floor, and to brake the pipes up and assign sections of the pipe to individual rooms.

Does anyone have any ideas?

How do you convert a multipatch in to a set of polygons representing floors, walls and ceilings? Assuming that this can be done, I should end up with polygons representing each side of a wall. How would I create another set of polygons representing the center of the wall?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BHeist
by
New Contributor III

If you have a 3D analyst license you can use a tool in that toolbox called "Multipatch Footprint". This will create polygon footprints representing the two-dimensional area occupied by a multipatch feature class. Then you could use the "Feature to Point" tool to calculate the centroid of each polygon. 

Multipatch Footprint—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Feature To Point—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  

Might have to get a little creative but that should be a start in the right direction.

0 Kudos
JonathanHolden-Remick1
New Contributor

That will only create the footprint of the building, I also need polygons for the walls, and roof. (all flat surfaces)

0 Kudos