%Name% variable error

10-16-2018 09:51 AM
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

I'm getting an error when I try in model builder to name the output of a buffered feature class based on the name of an input point file.

For example, I have in my input feature class 'teddy_bear_locations' and in my output the variables %Data Workspace%\Buffer_'%Name%' but when I look in the geodatabase, the output name is just Buffer_

I would like to have the output buffer as Buffer_teddy_bear_locations OR teddy_bear_locations_Buffer

If I use %Data Workspace%\%Name% it fails

if I use %Data Workspace%\Buffer_%Name% it fails with an invalid character error.

if I use %Data Workspace%\%Name%_Buffer it fails with an invalid character error.

The parse path is set to type NAME

The only time it doesn't fail is when I wrap the %Name% in quotes ' '

Not sure if this is a syntax error or anything else. I'm scratching my head here. This ought to be very simple... From all the examples I've seen it should work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

You need to add a screen shot of your model if you want anyone to answer this as it could be multiple issues.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Some questions:

• How is the data stored?   Feature Class in a File Geodatabase?  Enterprise Geodatabase (SDE)?  Shapefile?  Personal Geodatabase?
  • Which software and what version of the software are you using?  ArcGIS Desktop?  ArcGIS Pro?

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

It turned out to be an IT/network issue....

0 Kudos