ArcGIS standard deviation classification

10-17-2018 10:19 AM
XiaojinWang
New Contributor

I want to use standard deviation classification method for my map in ArcGIS, but the default class are -0.5 st dev - +0.5 st dev; 0.5 st dev-1.5 st dev; etc. I wonder if there's a way to use 0-1 st dev, 1-2 st dev, etc. Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

yes 

Then modify your breaks from there once you get the range values, should you want to consolidate those below the mean

XiaojinWang
New Contributor

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for the answer. I know how to choose the interval size. My question was how to set the cut off values to be from 0-1 st dev instead of -0.5-0.5 st dev, see the resulted default classes from standard deviation classification method on Classifying numerical fields for graduated symbology—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop . I know i could calculate the mean first and set the limits manually. I wonder if there's an option in ArcGIS to do it more easily. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Don't see one, I switch to manual after (jot down the breaks, just in case, most people don't want to calculate the mean or std dev first)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

like so... took about 30 seconds to move the slider to the mean, then right-click and remove the negative breaks

0 Kudos