Is there a Viewfield Angle setting in ArcGIS Pro?

10-16-2018 02:51 PM
DavidWheelock
Occasional Contributor III

Does the Viewfield Angle setting exist in ArcGIS Pro?

I have created an idea for this in ArcGIS Ideas here:

Add Viewfield Angle parameter and View Settings window to ArcGIS Pro (ArcMap Equivalency) 

In ArcScene and ArcGlobe there is a wonderful setting called Viewfield Angle that lets you adjust the angle of view of the virtual camera.  This is like zooming on a real camera where the camera stays in one place and the zoom lens changes the field of view by changing the angle of view.

View settings in ArcGlobe—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This is NOT the same as zoom in ArcMap or Pro, which only moves the virtual camera forward and backward, but doesn't change the angle of view.

This is also not the same as direction of view which only changes the direction that the virtual camera is pointing.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I don't believe so. I ran into this with the very first thing I attempted to use ArcGIS Pro for- I wanted to replicate a photo taken from a helicopter and had the EXIF information about the camera's field of view from the photo. Like you said, it's easy to do in ArcGlobe/ArcScene but couldn't do it with Pro. Thus began my evergrowing list of "Thou can't.." functionalities with Pro.

DavidWheelock

Thanks Steve!

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock

Kory Kramer‌, can you confirm that there is no Viewfield Angle setting in Pro?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

David - working through the Support Pages I found the following information -

You are correct that ArcGIS Pro does not currently have the same Viewfield angle functionality as ArcScene or ArcGlobe. The only way to incorporate such a feature at the moment would be through the following add-in: ArcGIS Pro Camera Navigation add-in: https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/tree/master/Map-Exploration/CameraNavigatio...

In addition to the above script, there is an enhancement request as follows:  Resolution: ENH-000116874 : Provide advanced view field tools in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.2 when displaying and navigating 3D scenes

DavidWheelock

Is there an Idea here on GeoNet that I can upvote or should I create one myself?  I don't see one already here.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

David, create your own if you can't find one on a search.  There may be others that just haven't bothered.

DavidWheelock

Robert.  Looking closer at the GitHub example that you recommended above, it does not appear to provide a control for the Viewfield Angle paramenter that we're talking about.  It appears to have everything but that.  Here's a screenshot of the parameters that are provided:

Question: What's the current status of the enhancement request ENH-000116874 that you reference above?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

David - apologies for the late response - was out of country teaching.  From my research the ENH request listed shows "In the Product Plan."  What this means is the next 1 to 2 AGP releases - figure either 2.5 or 2.6.  I wish I had a better timeframe from the internals but that's what is listed.

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock

Thanks!  Would it be appropriate to mark my idea, below, as In Product Plan, to bring it to equivalency with ArcMap?

Add Viewfield Angle parameter and View Settings window to ArcGIS Pro (ArcMap Equivalency) 

0 Kudos