Speed up export of feature class to feature class

10-16-2018 07:23 AM
AliceElliott
New Contributor II

I'm trying to export a feature class (saved locally) to a GDB (on a server) in ArcCatalog. Half the time ArcCatalog hangs when I try to export it-- just right-clicking the feature class and clicking Export to GDB results in ArcCatalog not responding for at least five minutes. This continues over and over (picking output location, entering the name, etc.) until I finally click "OK" to export it. Then it hangs, again, for at least ten minutes. The most recent one I did still has not completed its export.

The feature class is very small (a vector polygon, so only about 500 kb) so I am not sure why it is taking that long. My connection is also very good. Is there a way to speed this up? I am on Windows 10 64-bit and using ArcCatalog 10.6

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

copy features has less work to check

Copy Features—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

compare both to ensure you get the same results

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why this question is in ArcGIS Online, sharing with Managing Data‌, Geodatabase‌, and GIS

0 Kudos
AliceElliott
New Contributor II

Sorry, I am new to this and had a hard time figuring out which place to put this in. There were so many different places and this is the closest one I could find that fit my needs. I did not see the "managing data" or "geodatabase" location. Thank you for sharing it for me!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you do a clean uninstall of any previous ArcGIS for Desktop 10.x and then a clean install of ArcGIS Desktop 10.6?  Sometimes an upgrade (without a clean uninstall) creates some wonky behaviors such as this.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

What about a simple Copy\Paste. Does it take similar amount of time?

0 Kudos