AnsweredAssumed Answered

Topology in a Versioned GDB

Question asked by jborgion Champion on Oct 11, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 by jborgion

For the past few weeks I've been in knock down, drag 'em out, ****** knuckles fist fight with a versioned geodatabase and a topology there in (see Export Topology Errors and Versioning , Reconcile & Post hangs , Topology Validation versus Fixing the Actual Error(s) , Permissions to Validate Topology ...)

The latest skirmish is about to start: I'd like to try an validate the topology using a stand-alone arcpy script, and have a question about that approach.

Topology and versioned geodatabases—Help | ArcGIS Desktop , explains the method to create a topology in a versioned gdb: basically, create a feature dataset, add your feature classes, create your topology and the register the feature dataset as versioned.

Validate Topology—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  explains how to use the ValidateToplogy_managment() method and states:

If you validate an enterprise topology in ArcCatalog, the feature dataset that the topology is within be registered as versioned.

I take this to mean if I were to run the Validate Topology gp tool from an ArcCatalog session, I first need to unregister the feature dataset as versioned.  

Bottom line:  If I run ValidateToplogy_managment() as part of a standalone script, do I need to unregister the feature dataset as versioned prior to validation?

Outcomes