AnsweredAssumed Answered

After update to Pro 2.2.3, i can no longer import pandas

Question asked by tom.rippetoe on Oct 10, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 by Dan_Patterson

Hello. 

Yesterday I upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 from 2.2.0.  After doing the upgrade, i can no longer import the pandas library - neither within the Pro python interface nor other command line interpreters.  Prior to the upgrade i could import pandas just fine.

In Pro's Python Package Manager, pandas (version 0.23.3) is listed as an installed package - its listed twice.  I am unable to Uninstall pandas and no packages at all are listed in the 'Update Packages' dialog.

In my popwershell window (running with admin rights), i can enter propy and see the usual notification that i am running python 3.6.5.  at the prompt, i can import arcpy, import numpy, etc.  But if i try to import pandas, i get the following error message:

>>> import pandas

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\pandas\__init__.py", line 42, in <module

from pandas.core.api import *
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\api.py", line 10, in <module

from pandas.core.groupby import Grouper
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\groupby\__init__.py", line 2
in <module>
from pandas.core.groupby.groupby import (
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\groupby\groupby.py", line 48
in <module>
from pandas.core.arrays import ExtensionArray, Categorical
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\arrays\__init__.py", line 1,
in <module>
from .base import ExtensionArray # noqa
File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\pandas\core\arrays\base.py", line 10, in
<module>
from pandas.errors import AbstractMethodError
ImportError: cannot import name 'AbstractMethodError'

Any thoughts on what i need to do to be able to import pandas after the upgrade?

Outcomes