How do I view PDFs located in an ArcPro Catalog folder. 

10-09-2018 10:35 AM
MargaretCarew1
New Contributor III

How do I view PDFs located in an ArcPro Catalog folder.  In the past, I would add a pdf file type in the Customize/ArcCatalog Options selections.  But I have yet to find this option in ArcPro's Catalog Pane.  Is this an available feature.  Can I select pdfs to open while in ArcPro's Catalog folder?

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I dont think so, the only way I could get a pdf is to rename it with an extension that might indicate that it would contain data.  In this case I changed *.pdf to *.txt to get it to list in the catalog view/pane

0 Kudos
MargaretCarew1
New Contributor III

Thanks for responding, Dan.  I will test your response...I want to be able to open it up, like I do with ArcGIS Desktop.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Margaret, you will confirm that even changing the extension so it shows up, won't allow you to open it properly.  ArcGIS Pro just seems to ignore files with a particular extension since they probably don't contain data.

0 Kudos
MargaretCarew1
New Contributor III

Of course.  What a bummer and not at all convenient because I do view PDFs quite a bit when I have ArcPRO open and editing.  I have to keep Desktop ArcCatalog or file explorer open to have these PDFs readily available for viewing.  I just took the ArcPRO course last month at ESRI, so I am still in that learning curve, but I am now using it pretty much full time.  I do have to open up ArcMap to edit SDE geodatabase annotation.  I will have to wait until all staff are using ArcPRO in order to upgrade the annotation (at least that is what I could figure out from the HELP notes).  I have no idea when all staff will be using PRO.  Thanks, Dan.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

My preference is to always have File Explorer open.  Useful for making a quick folder, copying/moving data into a Pro project folder so it can be added to the *.aprx, rather than navigating to a different location and breaking the 'relative' path associations.  And for a quick, right-click on pdf, 'open with' to select the app you want to open the pdf with (avoid double-clicking to open a file... it is a bad habit... 'open with' is better for many file extensions)

0 Kudos
MargaretCarew1
New Contributor III

Thanks for your thoughts.

0 Kudos
BobSteiss
New Contributor III

If you go to Supported data types and items—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation and search for "pdf" it will bring you to a section where it talks about the file types that are not available\shown in the catalog pane or #catalog view which pdf is listed there.  Hopefully ESRI will change that as I liked having the option to see the non-spatial contents of a folder alongside the spatial contents instead of keeping a Windows Explorer window open.