I can't create a File GDB on a specific network drive

10-09-2018 05:01 AM
BruceAnger1
New Contributor

I can create a ESRI file geodatabase in ArcCatalog 10.2 and 10.4 in C:/ drive and in 2 network drives but on the 3rd network drive when you try to create a file geodatabase (fgdb) by either right clicking and selecting new>file GDB, or python script or by using FME. I get an error saying I don't have permission to create a FGDB and it disconnects the drive, not only in ArcCatalog but also if I try to access the drive through Windows Explorer.  The only way to re-map the drive is to log out and log back in again.

upon reopening you can see a new fgdb but it won't open stating it is corrupt or created with a different version to the current version.

It gets stranger because I can create a fgdb using FME's File Geodb-Open API.
I have checked with the network administrators and I have full read/write/execute on the drive and I have no problems creating a personal database .mdb file, shape files or executing python scripts. The administrators have said the drive is fine and there should be no permissions issues and ArcCatalog and ESRI desktop/arcpro all work fine so it doesn't appear to be a software issue either.

There is a slight difference in the size of the corrupted fgdb 115kb compared to 122kb for a normal empty and this appears to be down to the a00000004gdbtable and a00000004.gdbtablx.  

My question is how can I fix this problem?, short term I can create a fgdb in C drive and copy it across but that's not a preferred long term option. And I would prefer not to have to rebuild my machine.

Thankyou in Advance for any help with this

0 Kudos
0 Replies