AnsweredAssumed Answered

Feeback on design approach (REST API)

Question asked by jamesfreddyc on Oct 5, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 8, 2018 by jamesfreddyc

I think this is the best forum section to ask this or get some validation on my approach for handling alternatives to addFeature / applyEdit on a REST feature service.

The issue: a non-GIS business system is collecting and maintaining coordinate information about locations (points) in lat/long decimal degree values and they'd like to have that application insert those at a desired moment within that business system's workflow into our feature service.

My initial thought was to simply provide their developers with the Feature Service REST url and just assist them with setting up their addFeature requests but our feature class is stored in Web Mercator Aux Sphere spatial reference and any of those addFeature requests will be placing point features in the wrong location since they're not doing any type of projection.

1. I didn't see anywhere on the REST addFeature that could assist with converting those lat/long decimal degree values into the correct Web Mercator Aux Sphere system.  Maybe I just missed it.
  2. The developers are restricted to building a non-GIS product, no ESRI libraries available to them.

I'm thinking of publishing a geoprocessing service that could handle the projection for them and they could simply submit the lat/lon values & attributes and have the GP service perform the inserts with the correct spatial reference applied.

Any input is appreciated!

Outcomes